Low Key Watersports offers PADI diving courses so you can get certified on St. John. With several open-water and e-learning courses to choose from, we’ve got you covered.
PADI Search & Recovery Specialty
It happens: People accidentally drop things from docks, off boats, or even while scuba diving. If you’ve ever lost something in the water and wanted to go find it, then the PADI Search and Recovery Diver Specialty course is for you. There are effective ways to search for objects underwater that increase your chances of success. And there are good and better methods to bring up small, large, or just awkward items. Search and recovery can be challenging, but a whole lot of fun.
PADI (Junior) Advanced Open Water Divers who are at least 12 years old can enroll in the Search and Recover Diver course. PADI (Junior) Open Water Divers with a PADI Underwater Navigator certification also qualify.
Gathering information and resources, then carefully planning a search are the first important steps you learn. During four scuba dives you’ll practice:
- Swimming search patterns using your compass and natural navigation
- Locating large and small objects using various search patterns
- Using a lift bag for large or heavy objects, plus other recovery methods
- Planning a search operation based on facts gathered about a lost object prior to the dive
You may be able to get college credit for the Search and Recovery course – ask your instructor.
Also, the first dive of this PADI Specialty Diver course may credit as an Adventure Dive toward your Advanced Open Water Diver certification – ask your instructor about earning credit.
Besides your basic scuba equipment, you’ll need your own compass and underwater slate. Your Low Key PADI Instructor may suggest other gear that may help with your searches, such as a dive light, marker buoys, lines, and reels. During the class, we will provide these additional items but if you have your own, please bring them so you get experience using your gear.
To get started:
- Call or Click the Book Now Button on this page to sign up for your specific dive dates
On Your Dive Day:
- Meet with your Low Key Dive Instructor to review your eLearning and prepare for your dive